When I thought that my Big Green Dresdens quilt (yes, it's about to get a more respectable name before the spring shows are here) was the largest custom I'd ever do, I was wrong. I just finished quilting Marianne Elizabeth's Amaretto Cottage for Lynette, and this beastie is a whopping 20% larger! It measured 112" square before I started quilting! Because of it's massive size, the only place I have big enough for it is my longarm. All pictures taken of it will chop off large sections since my hallway is only about 7' across. You can look at the link for Lynette's blog to see other pictures of this quilt.
One thing I can rely on when I receive a quilt from Lynette is how impeccably it is pieced. I did a Patriots & Petticoats quilt for her last year, so I am familiar with how meticulously she pieces her blocks. Even the sections of blocks are so well pieced. The quilt laid flatter than most quilts I make (and you know what a stickler I am for my piecing). I knew that it was all in my hands to make the quilt look good, because Lynette had most definitely done her job already. Talk about nerve wracking.
The quilt does not disappoint, in my humble opinion. I set out to quilt this with a few simple goals. For me, sampler-style quilts can be discontinuous and difficult to meld into a cohesive quilt. They are made from many different fabrics. Although the blocks are repeated 4 times in this quilt, they are of all different constructions - some are a 4-patch, some are a 5-patch, and some are things different still. As a quilter, these differences make it hard to select a stencil that works for all blocks, or choose a design that works uniformly for all blocks. I do not care for the look of quilting each block differently, just to say that you custom quilted each block. I feel strongly that these different sampler blocks need to be melded into one quilt through the quilting. You can see how I did this on her Patriots & Petticoats quilt with a feathered wreath. This would have worked nicely here too, but I just wanted to do something different.
Lynette sent a Hobbs Tuscany wool batt for this quilt. That is partly why the feathery relief is so nice. It shows the texture of the quilting so much better than cotton. I used three colors of Glide thread - most of the quilt is in a gold that coordinates with the fabrics. There is also a little bit of pale green and light purple.
I have a few shots of the back too, since they show the quilting superbly. The backing is a soft lavender solid, despite appearing grayish in the photos. This shows the scalloped border, and where the sampler blocks are. But from the back, you are left wondering what the front might look like!