Thursday, March 01, 2012

Treading Water

We are getting our 2nd snow day (that results in a school cancellation...we've had a few more snowy days than that, but not many) of the season. Kids are home, as predicted. You all know my thoughts on kids home, so I won't digress too much there. I have been treading water sort of this week. I quilted on the monster quilt (see previous posts) until Monday morning, when I ran out of the prewound bobbins. I was anticipating this...the order I placed last week did not arrive until yesterday at 5pm. Sigh... Though I'd like to have been finishing the 115" CW quilt, the extra 2 days did allow me to putter with a few other things. I have given my left wrist a nice rest and today I realized for the first time that it was not bothering me. Thank Goodness. Aleve and a wrist brace to the rescue.
I got the binding on my MQX Neutral Fusion quilt this week. I also got this very bright quilt marked up for quilting, or I should say I started the markings. On Wednesday, I marked all 4 of these gray corners with this pretty cool braid stencil that I made myself back when I hand quilted. The green marking pencil marks are there, but appear a bit faint. But then yesterday, I decided that the braid was far too traditional looking for this quilt, and erased all the marks and did this...

It has a more art nouveau look, which is where I am going, and is much more how I envisioned it to look. I am now fine-tuning what is going in those star points, and contemplating thread color(s), as I will likely purchase some Glide at MQX for the quilt. With all these colors, I really don't know what color to stitch, but I do know I don't want to change the thread 12 different times! If you have a moment...have a look at the outer border of the quilt...it requires opening the link to see the entire top. I need suggestions on what to do with the quilting for the outer border. I am stumped!

2 comments:

sillyewe said...

I recently found your work through another blog. Margaret, your quilting is so outrageously beautiful. I could spend days looking at your blog. Looking at this quilt I see cross hatching under the tendrils on the border. Might be too plain...but it woukd make them stand out and echo some of the harder lines of the quilt. Whatever you do I am sure it will be gorgeous!!!
I am finishing up two tops and I will be contacting you soon about them. :) i would love to have you especially quilt a top I have done for my mom. :)

Rebecca said...

What kind of pen did you use to mark with the white lines???
Thanks for sharing......

Can hardly wait to see the finished look.