Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Sarcastic Daily Rant

OK, so I am contemplating entering a quilt in the Paducah quilt show (or at least sending the application of intention - the rest is up to the jury selction committee). My quilt is 63"x78". There are two categories for those that are first-time Paducah showers. This seems like an appropriate place for me, right? There's the "Large" category, for widths 60"-110" and length 80" or more, and there is the "Small" category, for widths 40"-60" and length over 40".

If you are not rolling your eyes and choking on your tongue, then you should be. I might not have ever caught the issue, except that my average-ish sized quilt does not fit into either of these categories. Hypothetically then, I can put a quilt that is 59.5"x110" in the Small category (doing math...that is 6545 sq.in.) and another which is 60"x80" in the Large category (4800 sq.in.). Remind me again which is the Large quilt...

So I emailed somebody about this at AQS, and their reply is for me to just enter the quilt in the regular Large quilt category, widths 60-110" and length over 40". This is where anybody that has showed at Paducah before would have their quilts. Doesn't this sound like harder competition?? Hello...??... Or is the length for the First-time Paducah entry of 80" really a typo, since there is a regular Small quilt category too, with widths 40-60" and length over 40"??

Tell me I am not crazy.

5 comments:

Teri said...

Don't know if I'll be much help since I have only had entries into the miniature category. I read the rules, and you should enter in the Large Wall Quilt category. I notice that they don't have as many categories as they used to have, so you are limited to what your quilt will fit into. I think that the competition is stiff no matter what category you enter, and you don't want to take a chance that your quilt would be disqualified because it is the wrong size for the category. Good Luck!!!

Linda said...

First of all, you should totally enter one of your quilts! You would win cuz of your talent, I know it!! Second, you're not crazy. I totally got what you were laying down. It makes no sense. I think you should go for the virgin category. :-0 He-he!!

Jan Hutchison said...

I love it when you get cranky! I agree with Teri that you should enter category 7, for Large wall quilts longarm quilted. The first time entry categories can be very large, and you will be competing against art quilts, hand-quilted quilts (like the amazing applique ones the Japanese ladies do so well) and everything else under the sun. But do enter somewhere, your quilting will hold it's own!

Lynette said...

hehe :) (sorry- it's only funny when you're not the one having to figure it out)

I think it's fantastic that you're entering a quilt!!

Patti said...

I could see that as problematic for someone like me. But you have skills that can compete easily so don't let it concern you.