Friday, October 21, 2011

As the week ends

As the week comes to an end, I myself can look back and be rather pleased with my level of productivity. It was worlds better than the past 3-4 weeks. I like the feeling of accomplishment. Heck, I even did a couple loads of laundry this week, entertained the renovation contractor while he was here yesterday (he was, mind you, taking care of a few lingering issues!), and I plan to actually roast a whole chicken in a little bit. I love to sew and quilt on most any day, but all that domestic crap needs the stars in alignment to get done!

So while my last couple quilts are whirling enroute to one final show for the year, the 3rd of 4 for the month, I have put my next show quilt back onto the frame to work on a few of the things I left undone. I'd hoped it would be off yesterday, but I have opted for another day to do one last thing. Most of my finishing work is to my liking. My micro-quilting to make those small green diamonds pop, however, leaves me high up on that fence still. I may leave it. I may do some bobbin work to outline them. I'm digging deep for an alternative to taking out Invisifil stitched densely at 16 stitches per inch! It would take a very long time.
I also micro filled the curved cross-hatching with my favorite silk thread. It looks basically just like the Invisifil, and is nearly as fine, but I knew that the silk would not shred. Turns out, the Invisifil only shredded once on all the other work. Who'd have known. Planets must have aligned today as well. I have wanted to "checker board" the CC before but never got the guts to do it - it's kind of a point of no return once you do it. Nothing short of a torch gets those little stitches out. It is just the effect I was after, thankfully. I have said before how I really don't love the tan (OK, I kinda loathe this taupe background, which I think is a Kona or Bella solid - don't know, as it was in my stash and I opted not to buy any fabric for this quilt). It needed to have whimsical quilting to draw one's attention from the blandness of it. I think I am getting there.


I also dug out a nice green Rainbows thread for feathering the green borders. I sort of have a love-hate relationship with Rainbows. Some days is stitches amazingly; others, it shreds and gives me grief. I always love how it looks, with a pretty sheen and very subtle variagation. I decided to give it a go today, not wanting everything on this quilt to blend into the fabrics. Despite the picture, the feathering shows vividly in the Rainbows. My cave lighting keeps you from seeing that though. I turn off all the lights except for a spotlight so that the texture is more evident!

And lastly, and what is probably one of my all-time favorite quilt additions...the butterflies got their antennae! The quilt was almost completed when I chose to applique 8 butterflies onto it. They are so integral to the finished whimsical look of the quilt that I can hardly believe I nearly didn't do it. The top part of the flowers will get "flattened" tomorrow, and I will ponder a couple more things. But for one week, all is good!

16 comments:

Stitches said...

Oh my gosh, I just happened across your blog and your quilting is wonderful. You do a fantastic job!! The quilting makes my heart sing! The quilts are beautiful also. Wonderful work!!!

Desley said...

Absolutely Stunning!!!!!

Elaine said...

I love your butterflies, your checkerboard (I'll have to give that a try sometime) and all your beautiful quilting. Can't wait to see the quilt as a whole.

Lynette said...

This is so wonderful!!! It's gorgeous, both the quilt top and the quilting! You must be ecstatic :D

Katie said...

I don't know how you could DO or have DONE this any better. . .this is OUTstanding. . amazing. . aWEsome. . . really AWE inspiring. . for reals!

Marie-José H said...

Oh, wauw, your quilting is so amazing. What a wonderful quilt you made.

Joan said...

Oh - My golly gosh!! What a Beeeeautiful quilt. Love your quilting!

Jenny said...

Just amazing!! So much detail. Your an amazing quilter!

Katie said...

This is gorgeous - I can't wait to find out how you do! I like all of the quilting particularly the CC, I also really like the contrast of the tan - the rest of the quilt is do vibrant it needed the quietness to bounce off... It makes the brights sing more... Absolutely stunning :)

Vivian said...

Margaret, when this gets entered into competition there is no good reason that it shouldn't win a blue ribbon. As always your work is absolutely PHE-NO-MEN-AL!!

bingo~bonnie said...

oh.
my.
word.

your work is incredibly BEAUTIFUL!!! Love what you have done to this quilt... and your smocking is very lovely too!!! Your daughter's winter dress is gonna be so nice. :)

While unpacking boxes I came across my batik round robin that I received last year. I now have it in a "safe spot" - hopefully soon I'll find the backing fabric for it... it's gotta be in a box somewhere. ;)

Love from Indiana,
Bonnie

Maya said...

Wonderful work Margaret! Those butterflies were an inspired addition - they look perfect.

Vivian said...

Oh my, when I grow up I'm going to get me a longarm and learn to quilt like you. Absolutely fabulous.

Ivory Spring said...

Margaret,

Your quilting is out of this world!

Habibti at Home said...

Oh my word! You are amazing!!! Honestly some of the prettiest quilting around! So talented!!! Now I know where to come when I have to convince myself to try something hard. Fun!

ladyhock said...

Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing!