Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Some Sampler Fun

Before Christmas, I had the pleasure of quilting a couple more of Adrienne's quilts. She's already sent me two wonderful quilts, one of which was a fabulous sampler, and now she's sent two more. She must do many block swaps or bees to get such a fantastic variety of blocks. I took pictures of several just to give myself a nice reference of interesting 12" blocks. She only wanted an all-over quilting, so I didn't get to practice any super creative quilting, but I still think that the quilts came out pretty.
The blues and white reminded me of clouds in the sky on a sunny day, so that's what I decided to do - it is a swirly-cloudlike allover quilting.
It is not very dense so it does have a fluffier appearance.

The second quilt is in one of my favorite colors - Purples!! It is quite large and has some interesting designs too.
This is quilted in a medium lavendar thread and another all-over design that has loose feathery leaves, swirls and echo quilting. It is more dense than the blue quilt, and will definitely pucker nicely when washed.
I wasn't sure if I'd like the look of the purple thread on the many white areas, but I stuck to my 1st instinct which was to match the thread to the sashings. I think that this was a good decision.

I have 2 samplers, identical in fact, right now to quilt as soon as that darn brown thread arrives. Not sure if these owners want more than a basic Popcorn panto though...

On a different note, I was told today that this lowly blog will be featured on www.WeAllSew.com next week. So, hop on over there and see what Erika has going on, and maybe by next week I will have more fetching things to look at. Some things I have yet to show include a sweet spring table runner made for my mother-in-law for Christmas, a gorgeous batik quilt I finished, and the tales of quilting my first customer T-shirt quilt! Stay tuned. Stay warm. And stay quilting :-)
And for the charitable among us, I must make mention of HGTV's Crayola Challenge. Quilts are being made in 2 pre-assigned crayola colors and are being raffled off in Feb. The proceeds (I believe) go to the Ronald MacDonald house. Anyhow, Bingo Bonnie is making one of these and I will be quilting it for her. I will post more about this in the coming weeks, but donating to this event is of interest to you, I urge you to follow it directly. Last year's quilts were fantastic. I only wish I had known about this in the summer to be making my own quilt!




3 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I love sampler quilts, and those look like very good examples.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

That is super that you will be featured on that blog. I have been there before, nice site. Nice job on the quilts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely work.......especially the lavender sampler.......is that a panto and does it have a name?
Thanks, again......