Friday, January 15, 2010

A Nice Sampling

And a colorful quilt which I hope showcases many of my longarm quilting skills. As I mentioned a few days ago, a local shop needs/wants to see some of my work before they refer clients to me. I didn't just want to bring them a quilt I did with a pantograph back in the first couple weeks that I had the machine. I wanted to bring them a home run. As far as what I have done to date, the quilting on this sampler quilt is out of the park. Even I am amazed!
The blocks came from a swap (Quilt Block Exchange on flickr) - So I cannot take credit for ANY of the piecing except for adding sashings and borders. The ladies in this group did a fantastic job. There were even 4 blocks I did not use. I was going to make an altogether different quilt to take to the stores, and then donate it to Project Linus, but then I remembered that I had these blocks. It saved me a TON of work.
It's still on machine here, with all of it's blue markings. The texture is just yummy! I specifically did every block differently to show some of the things I can both quilt and design.

The back is pieced in 3 large pieces. Thanks to Joann's for not actually having enough of any 2 coordinating fabric! The quilting shows the best on this bright pink.
For not having done many feathered borders, I am quite pleased with how this turned out. I still need to experiment with different perturbations on the feathering, and plan to take a feathering online class next month, but this is a decent start. The white sashing design is one I pirated from a fabulous quilter. I am not so creative yet in sashing designs. Time and practice...
I wanted to give Mary's scrappy brick block some definition with the quilting. I always love that curved cross-hatching (whatever the heck is it's "real" name???) and wanted to toss it in on one block since I have plans for it on an upcoming quilt. I like how it is on point and the leaves and swirls help to ground it.
This star was a little challenging. Mary did another fantastic job (she's a prolific block maker in this group), as she does with all her paper-pieced blocks. I think the flower and swirls did pretty well.
Here's Alicia's HST's in a window frame, which I chose to pebble. I never imagined that the HST quilting might resemble little hangers! This block is cool in the back...be sure to scroll down a bit for a look.
I've lost track of who made this coin block - sorry. With an abundance of white, I tried a leafy variation.
And yet a 3rd block from Mary...I tried a feather variation with some swirls thrown in. It's much harder doing these along a diagonal!
I love this block from Wendy, especially the flowery center. I wanted to keep the flowery feel with the quilting.
A sampler wouldn't be complete without a little Mc Tavishing on Chelsea's heart block (or McMargaretting as I call it, so as not to bastardize what fabulous work Karen McTavish does!). Fun whirly-swirls fill the heart.
Another one from Alicia...FYI - I gathered pink and purple blocks in this swap for 2 or3 months last fall! And yet another "hanger" variation. I haven't shown close-ups of 3-4 of the blocks, but that might just be overkill. I assure you the blocks were wonderful and look awesome in this quilt. I suspect that this quilt will become something I am donating to my Project Linus coordinator to use as a raffle quilt to generate $$ for our chapter. I have not sewn anything for her since October, and am having a little bit of guilt. If I don't donate this, it will just become another one of my unpurchased Etsy Listings. I need to find a different place to retail the quilts I am trying to sell.
Have a great long weekend (I have to go cook dinner now!!)

21 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

awesome sample quilting plus the blocks are really great as well!

Patty said...

Your quilting is beautiful. I love the border design!

Vicki W said...

Beautiful!

Jeanie said...

You are just a natural at this! I'm sure this will boost your local business off the charts!

Vals Quilting said...

Holy Man!! I've never seen any quilting as BEAUTIFUL, where do you live LOL...nice perfect job. I decided this year might be the year I actually send my quilts out...but then I hear horror stories - your work is stunning
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

luv2quilt2 said...

What a beautiful sample of your skills.

Wendy said...

Wow, Margaret - the quilt looks stunning! You are really doing a fabulous job with your long arm. It was fun to be able to contribute a bit to your project!

Lee D said...

You are sure to get great compliments from the store and many orders from future customers. Beautiful. good luck

Monica said...

Beautiful quilt! And what I like best about it is it was freemotion and not by a Statler Stitcher or similar product. Freemotion is an art and a skill that you clearly have in spades.

Kathy said...

Your free motion quilting is lovely. What an elegant way to showcase your business!

Emma said...

WOW! Your quilting is simply amazing, and has improved from great to fantastic in no time at all! You must be thrilled! I'm sure they'll be impressed and hopfully send plenty of exciting work your way. I'm bookmarking this for inspiration!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Nice quilt. You really did a super job on the quilting. The ladies at the quilt store will really love it.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Wow Margaret! You have definitely justified getting a longarm machine. Each new piece showcases quilting that's even more gorgeous than the last one. I'm in awe.

Marlene said...

Awesome job Margaret!!!

Hedgehog said...

Looks great! Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Evelyn said...

That's beautiful! I love the color combination - it's one of my favorites. And the quilting is just fantastic. I hope it gets you lots of business!

StitchSister said...

Margaret, this is absolutely STUNNING. Bravo! And good luck.
-Linda

Anonymous said...

Out of the park for sure.....perhaps the curved cross-hatching is orange peel? What thread were you using? Same weight top and bottom?
Thanks for your inspiration!

Thearica said...

Excellent show of workmanship!

Downsouth said...

Oh wow! I can see why you wanted to take this quilt/quilting for potential clients to see!

I'm friends with Bonnie on the HGTV board. I'm so glad she gave us the link to your blog. Your quilting is gorgeous and you should be so proud of yourself! I love what you did to Bonnie's quilt!

Devonne / "downsouth"

ARTSAVVY said...

lovely work..., I am envious of your dedication to mastering the quilting. I am in no way so dedicated and my longarm named Alma sets quietly waiting and waiting. Of course I am drawn more to art quilting so that coudl be part of it. Beautiful work!