Monday, July 27, 2009

It's an Honorable Quilt

I knew my hand appliqued, hand quilted quilt probably didn't stand a chance amongst the "real" quilters...the ones very heavily and gorgeously machine quilted. I also figured that my quilt of little sentimental dresses had a limitted appeal - new mothers and grandmothers, little girls, etc. I still love it. Made from scraps from the nursery bedding, curtains and all of the many dresses and outfits I have made my daughter, Sophie, this is sentimental to me, and nothing looks better than a purple ribbon on it, even if that does not denote First Place. Many of the judged quilts didn't get anything. It was a great learning experience seeing what other good quilters did, and what was better or worse received by the judges. I expect to get their comments by mail later this week.
Here's the only full (or mostly full) picture I have. The lighting inside the Civic Center was, as expected, harsh. Now that the show is over though, I can take it outside for more pictures and not fear getting it dirty in the grass.

The show was absolutely wonderful for me. I tested every long arm machine that was there, including two APQS's, two MQ's, a Gammill (which was my favorite), and the Bernina820 on a frame. The Bernina is a totally kick ass sewing machine with a price tag to follow. That option just had NO quilting distance. The APQS's were jerkier, with the Lenni being slightly better. The MQ's were not bad. But I could have taken home the Gammill. Now I must look into finances here, and conjure up my best proposition to my husband for how I can make this a lucritive purchase long term. Might be a tough sale, but he knows I wear the pants in this house :-) If not for the fact that I have been begging for a kitchen/downstairs remodel for ages, and he needs a new car...

I picked up these small pieces yesterday too...Sophie's been on an orange kick so they may be used to do somethig for her.
Here is a slideshow of some of my favorites from the Quilt Show...
And come August 1, when Flickr will allow me to upload again, I'll show a set of detailed pictures of this finished quilt.

3 comments:

Emma said...

Congratulations! You deserve the win!

Marlene said...

Congratulations Margaret!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your ribbon, Margaret! And, I love the row you did for Diane's quilt.